We strongly recommend that you call this support line, for help and assistance on keeping your property warm. You will be speaking to experts who can give advice on grants and how to save money on your heating bills by making your home more energy efficient.
This is a free, central phone number, open from 9am to 8pm Mon – Fri and 10am – 2pm on Sat.
Are you elderly / live alone?
Don’t worry they are dedicated to ensuring your safety is paramount. You may be entitled to special services including free gas safety checks and prearranged passwords, so that you know that anyone visiting your home is who they say they are.
All people over the age of 60 receive a Winter Fuel Payment of up to £300 from the government. If you’re receiving benefits such as the pension credit you may also be eligible for extra grants to insulate your house and improve its energy efficiency. Energy suppliers also offer winter rebates to some customers who may be vulnerable over winter – why not give them a quick call.
Simple Steps to Reduce your Bills
- A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in 1 week wastes enough hot water to fill half a bath, so fix leaking taps and make sure they’re fully turned off.
- If you have radiators, turn them down in rooms which you only use occasionally
- Switch your lights off when you’re not using them
- Turn appliances like televisions and phone chargers off at the wall rather than leaving them on standby when they’re not being used
- Replace normal light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs which use 1/5 of the electricity. They may cost a little more, but they soon pay for themselves.
- Draw curtains over windows at night to provide insulation for the room
- Keep outside doors shut and block up obvious draughts (including the letterbox)
- Avoid covering radiators with curtains - they will funnel heat out of the room. Instead, tuck them behind the radiator
- Regularly defrost your freezer to make sure it’s operating at full efficiency
- Open internal doors of any rooms which get more sun than others and let the warm air travel around your home